This is my first year participating in Pitch Wars or even knowing much of anything about it. This time last year I was completely out of the writing loop, as I had given myself the summer off of my MA in English and Creative Writing program and decided to skip out on Camp NaNoWriMo because my work life in the summer is wild. So I was ignoring all things writing while I focused on Summer Reading Club and keeping my library afloat while we were short a manager and two other staff.
This year things are (somewhat) more balanced so I am taking a whack at Pitch Wars!
Now, on with it.
Hi! I’m Haley Kral!
I’m a children’s librarian at a public library, which means I spend my day reading picture books, doing storytime, helping people use the computers, and any number of random things that come up. People think being a librarian means sitting somewhere very quiet and maybe reading but that is not the case! My job is often noisy and stressful but I love what I do. In a given week I help people apply for jobs, teach STEAM programs to children, give reading suggestions, and clean up messes.
For fun I read, watch TV, go to live shows when I can, eat with friends, do pub trivia, spin yarn, and my boyfriend and I are building a witchy dollhouse.
Some random facts in no particular order:
- I love Alice in Wonderland (in the above photo I have on an Alice dress, bow, and necklace and was going to see a ballet version of the story).
- I collect tea pots.
- I now own 6 spinning wheels.
- My house is also occupied by two black cats, a large dog, and two hamsters that look like mice.
- I grew up on a small farm and I’ve lived in Texas my entire life.
- I’m an occasional book reviewer at AllAboutRomance.com.
- I met my boyfriend on the internet.
- I speak French well but not fluently.
- If you’re around me in real life, I swear. A lot.
- I love all things witchy.
Or Rumpelstiltskin meets fae meets romance meets trouble.
This is a YA Fantasy retelling of Rumpelstiltskin set in the fictional country of Wilhelm. I wrote the manuscript as the thesis for my MA Creative Writing program, and it tells the story of Alary Mueller who, while trying to save her father from the king’s dungeon, gets embroiled in a fae plot to bring down the king.
In a mentor, I am looking for someone who can help me tighten my writing and fix issues like overall pacing and plotting. I have taken this story through peer and professor workshops so I am used to taking and using critiques. I’m not afraid to hear what needs to be fixed and work on it.